Backing Up Exchange 2007 on Windows 2008

It has been suggested to me that my series on backing up Exchange Server 2007 on Windows Server 2008 was so complicated that the content was truly inaccessible for the novice admin. For that, I apologize. At heart, I am a techie kind of guy and I spend a lot of time trying to make complicated things easy - in my blog articles, my magazines articles, and in the presentations I make at various conferences.

So, to make up for that, without any technical discussion whatsoever, I present my GUI solution (still PowerShell based) for backing up Exchange Server 2007 on Windows Server 2008. With the exception of the forms-based handling, all of the technical infrastructure has been discussed here and in article preceding that article.

The GUI solution requires .NET 2.0, but that's already installed on any Exchange Server 2007 computer.

To use the backup script:

1. Download the zip file to a directory for PowerShell scripts on the Exchange Server you want to back up
  2. Extract the two files contained in the zip file into that directory
  3. Create (or identify) a directory where you want backups to go
  4. Identify the first free drive letter on the server
  5. Modify the MBS-GUI-Exchange-backup.ps1 script parameter block to insert those two parameters
  6. Execute the script (from PowerShell, move to the directory where you extracted the scripts and type in ./MBS-GUI-Exchange-backup.ps1)

That's it.That's all it takes.

Down the script MBS-GUI-Exchange2007-Backup.zip.

Just one tiny technical comment: if you are on Exchange 2003, it would be relatively easy to modify this script to use BEtest to execute VSS backups for Exchange 2003.

Until next time...

If there are things you would like to see written about, please let me know!

Published Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:52 PM by michael
Filed under: , ,

Comments

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:22 PM by Nicolas

# re: Backing Up Exchange 2007 on Windows 2008

Fine with me for the backup part. It went smoothly on my W2K8 / E2K7 SP1 machine.

But how do I restore the E2K7 database in case of a crash? Have I missed something?

Sunday, May 03, 2009 3:02 PM by gonzzo

# re: Backing Up Exchange 2007 on Windows 2008

great tool. I was searching for a long time. and I read trhough the previous blogs to learn.

I put quite a bit of work into the setup of an exchange server (as newbie). now I would like to make sure I have a backup of the *configuration*.

what I learned is that one can do almost anything with powershell.

so, is it possible to have the configuration of my exchange server backed up?

perhaps one can create a powershell script that would read the current configuration and create a new script containing the necessary powershell commands to (re)create the exact same configuration on a new server? that

looks like a nice configuration backup to me.

or am I completely in outer space?

dan

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:22 PM by RussPitcher

# re: Backing Up Exchange 2007 on Windows 2008

First of all, thanks a lot for this series and the script - it works a treat.

I did have an issue running on my CCR cluster though as the script uses the COMPUTERNAME environment variable.  A quick hack of the script proved that it would work just as well with the cluster name.  If anyone wants to use this with a cluster, just replace line 59:

$computerName = $env:ComputerName

with the following code:

if ([bool]$(gsv ClusSvc -ErrorAction "SilentlyContinue") -eq $true) {

$computerName = $( `

Get-WmiObject -Namespace "root\MSCluster" -Query "SELECT * FROM MSCluster_ResourceGroup" | `

Where-Object {$_.AntiAffinityClassNames -match "Microsoft Exchange Virtual Server"} ).Name

} else {

$computerName = $env:ComputerName

}

Thursday, May 07, 2009 10:40 AM by michael

# re: Backing Up Exchange 2007 on Windows 2008

@nicolas - you simply stop all the stores in the storagegroup and copy the files back. I do have a script for that and I'll get it posted Real Soon Now (tm). :-)

@dan - You certainly CAN do what you suggest, and I cover this here: theessentialexchange.com/.../exchange-2007-backup-and-restore-the-minimum.aspx with links to dealing with all the various server roles.

@RussPitcher - Thanks!

Friday, June 12, 2009 3:26 PM by Twitted by amitry

# Twitted by amitry

Pingback from  Twitted by amitry

Friday, June 12, 2009 3:26 PM by Twitted by amitry

# Twitted by amitry

Pingback from  Twitted by amitry

# Rexxe?? » ?????????? ?????????? » Exchange 2007 backup script - ??????????????????

Pingback from  Rexxe??  » ?????????? ??????????   » Exchange 2007 backup script - ??????????????????